site logo
subscriber logo
search logo
X
x
Scrabbl
Think beyond ordinary
Subscribe to our newsletter to explore all the corners of worldly happenings

Channel

Your Details

News

TEMI Tea Participates at World Tea Expo, Eyes US Market

Temi Tea Estate is part of the Commerce & Industries Department, Government of Sikkim, and Union of India.

TEMI Tea Participates at World Tea Expo, Eyes US Market

The TEMI Tea Estate located in the southern parts of Sikkim in the northeast India, the only tea garden in the state established in 1969 which still owned by the state government, is representing the Indian tea industry at The World Tea Expo, being held at Las Vegas, Nevada, US from June 11 to June 13. Temi Tea Estate is part of the Commerce & Industries Department, Government of Sikkim, and Union of India. Temi Tea boasts of the finest teas the world has produced and has been sending representatives to Europe and Japan to participate in Tea Export on a regular basis.


This assumes significance in the wake of the fact that The World Tea Expo is one the most major and leading tradeshows and conferences in the world focused 100 percent on premium teas and related products. The event aims at blending fresh ideas, the latest trends and new distribution channels with three days of focused buying, selling and education.


World Tea Expo is the epicenter of the North American specialty tea market and it serves the $8 billion American tea industry, which is expected to grow an additional $7 billion by 2018. Interestingly, it is the Specialty/premium tea, which is driving this growth and holds nearly 60 percent of the market share today.

More than 260 high-quality tea suppliers and related vendors from as many as 22 countries exhibit new products and innovations. Interestingly, more than 30 percent of the exhibiting companies exhibit nowhere else. Attending the World Tea Expo is an exclusive opportunity to visit and therefore, TEMI Tea sees this expo as a lifetime opportunity to further its business needs and its social commitments, says TEMI Tea officials.


Rahul Banerjee, a Chartered Accountant by education & a Ph.D., who would be representing Temi Tea at Las Vegas this year, said that the TEMI Tea story dates back to the late 60s when the then King of Sikkim gave refuge to displaced neighbors along the Silk Route. The King also helped them set up a tea estate over a vast expanse of 376 hectares of land along elevations of 1400 to 2000 meters or 4800 to 6400 ft making some of the finest flavors of the brew. TEMI whispers the story of Sikkim, its mysticism, beautiful landscape, stunning weather, and sight! The Temi Tea Garden lies between Damthang and Temi Bazaar towards Singtam, it spreads over an area of 376 hectares.


The teas from the Temi Tea stable are sold under different brand names including 'Temi Tea', 'Sikkim Solja', 'Mystique' and 'Kanchanjunga Tea'. It is also sold in the form of 'Orthodox dust tea'. As much as 75 percent of the tea produced in this estate is auctioned in Kolkata and the remaining 25 percent is marketed as packaged tea in the domestic market.


Get our hottest stories delivered to your inbox.

Sign up for Scrabbl Newsletters to get personalized updates on top stories and viral hits.